Labor’s Victoria senator Stephen Conroy has announced his resignation from politics, only months after being re-elected at the July 2 election.
“You should always go out on top…it must be time to say farewell,” Conroy states in his tabled speech. “It has been a great privilege to serve as a senator for Victoria, as leader and deputy leader of the Labor Party in the Senate and as a cabinet minister in two Labor governments.”
Conroy mentions his daughter, Isabella in the speech. “When you resent being in Canberra because you are missing your daughter’s soccer training it is time to retire from the Federal Parliament,” the statement reads. “It’s time for me to hang up my boots as Captain of the Parliamentary Soccer team and spend more time teaching Isabella soccer tricks.”
Conroy’s decision caught his party colleagues by surprise. “I’ve only just heard of these reports so I’ll be having more discussions during the day,” Labor’s federal deputy leader, Tanya Plibersek said on Friday. Labor MP for Corio, Richard Marles told ABC he was also surprised by the decision, but said, “Steve was always going to do this in his own way and on his own terms.”
Opposition leader Bill Shorten thanked Conroy for his “tireless contribution” to the party and the country. “In his twenty years as a senator, Stephen has relished every challenge put to him…” states Shorten. “He goes with my goodwill, my best wishes and my thanks for his service.”
Conroy has previously served as Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy and Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on Digital Productivity.
US presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has returned to campaigning after three-day rest at home from pneumonia.
“Sitting at home was pretty much the last place I wanted to be,” Clinton spoke to the crowd in North Carolina yesterday as a part of her campaign trail. Clinton’s speech focused mostly on her vision for American families and children rather than her rival, Republican candidate Donald Trump.
Concerns arose after Clinton was reportedly taken ill and stumbling to get into her vehicle at the 9/11 memorial event.
Three days after the event, Clinton’s personal physician Lisa Bardack, MD confirmed that Clinton’s condition has improved.
“She is recovering well with antibiotics and rest,” Bardack’s statement reads. “She continues to remain healthy and fit to serve as President of the United States.”
In response to this incident, Trump has released his medical report on The Dr Oz Show following a recent examination by his personal doctor, Dr Harold Bornstein. The report states that Trump is in “excellent physical health”.
“When you’re running for president of the United States, or maybe any other country, I think you have an obligation to be healthy,” Trump told the show’s host, Mehmet Oz.
“I just don’t think you can do the work if you’re not healthy; I don’t think you can represent the country properly if you’re not a healthy person.”
Bornstein claimed in December that Trump would be “the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency”.
Auction market opens the spring season with significant clearance rate in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra and Adelaide.
Sydney market remains strong with its fourth consecutive weekend of a clearance rate above 80 per cent, well above the rate recorded at the same weekend last year of 75.1 per cent.
Melbourne market is also at its strongest since last winter, achieving 77.5 per cent clearance rate on Saturday and making it the sixth consecutive weekends of clearance rates above 75 per cent.
Domain senior economist, Andrew Wilson told AFR Weekend that other cities are experiencing similar trend. “Brisbane saw a clearance rate of 54 per cent when it is usually travelling in the 40s, Canberra hit 82 per cent and Adelaide 74 per cent,” said Wilson.
Observers believe that this market boom is motivated by lower number of listings and cuts in interest rates by the Reserve Bank of Australia last month. Wilson reports that this weekend, Sydney only saw 537 auctions compared to 815 auctions at the same weekend last year while Melbourne had 718 auctions compared to 880 last year.
NASA has published data showing global temperature and rainfall patterns that may change through the year 2100 due to the increase of greenhouse gas emissions concentrating in the Earth’s atmosphere. The dataset shows projected changes worldwide responding to growing carbon dioxide simulated by 21 climate models.
According to NASA Chief Scientist, Ellen Stofan, “NASA is in the business of taking what we’ve learned about our planet from space and creating new products that help us all safeguard our future,”. She states that “with this new global dataset, people around the world have a valuable new tool to use in planning how to cope with a warming planet.”
The NASA climate projections provide a detailed view of future temperature and precipitation patterns around the world at a 25km resolution, covering the time period from 1950-2100.
Using these data sets, modelling algorithms, and workflows, NASA is using NEX – a collaboration and analytical platform that combines state of the art supercomputing to explore and analyse Earth’s change.
No one beats around the bush quite like Malcolm Turnbull. Continuing his history of a few semi-broken promises in his best Liberal fashion, Mr. Turnbull has now proven his sitting-on-the-fence nature by introducing the unwanted same-sex marriage plebiscite. A fantastically half-arsed idea in an attempts to shift the gay marriage decision to voters.
Former High Court Justice, Michael Kirby has expressed his views on the plebiscite warning that it’s ‘alien’ towards the constitution, stating it would establish a ‘bad precedent’ that would weaken Australian parliaments.
Mr. Kirby also reiterated that the same-sex vote was unnecessary, pointing out that there was no plebiscite on important national issues such as abolishing the White Australian Policy and that gay Australians deserve the right to equality too.
Mr. Turnbull has distanced himself from making any further comments and the plebiscite will not be held until next year. Until then, it will be a while before Australia can have same-sex marriage.
On August 17th, 2016 scarring footage was released of a young little boy covered in blood rescued from the rubble after an airstrike in Northern Syrian city Aleppo in the midst of the country’s civil war.
The boy was identified as Omran Daqneesh. Silenced and paralysed with extreme shock, the video shows the little boy being carried outside and into an ambulance by a civil defense worker, covered in dust and the left side of his face bleeding.
Miraculously, most of Omran’s relatives survived as the boy was reunited with his family. Amongst others, 18,598 civilians were killed in Aleppo province including 4,557 children.
This haunting and heartbreaking video moved the entire nation, circulating around social media and shedding a horrific light on the Syrian War.
It’s 1996 again as the One Nation Party leader makes another comeback in Australian politics, only this time with a little more success, and a new target enemy, Muslims.
The former fish and chip shop owner has shocked voters, securing 142, 594 of the primary vote nationally and 5.48 percent in Queensland, achieving double-digit first preference votes (most regional seats).
With the increase of conservative votes, One Nation received 8.97 percent of the vote and helped Prime Minister Malcolm Turnball’s ally and assistant innovation minister, Wyatt Roy. Baffled left voters have speculated that the surprise winning had resulted from an increase of recent islamophobic and terrorism propaganda perpetuated in the media influencing concerning rural voters.
Despite the disturbing level of support received towards Hanson, many Australians including Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull have unwelcomed the red-headed leader stating that there is no place for racism, hatred, and bigotry in modern Australia.
Someone needs to please explain Pauline Hanson’s return.
Notorious for his hilarious political commentary, John Oliver delivers a sincere “fuck off” message to Donald Trump on his show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.
The video shows John Oliver dissecting the Republican candidate, highlighting the funny and incredibly disturbing parts of Donald Trump. Oliver begins by addressing and disproving the false claims arguing that Trump is a ‘strong’ and ‘economical’ potential leader.
Oliver also mentions the numerous controversial cases where Donald Trump has been involved in such as his usual tirade of racial slurs, and even the time when Donald Trump wished everyone a “Happy 9/11”.
Reiterating the serious level of success following Trump’s campaign’s, Oliver continues to stress how terribly unprofessional and unqualified he is as the next president of the United States.
Uzbekistan President, Islam Karimov has died at the age of 78 from a stroke. The country’s government and parliament confirmed the death on Friday, September 2.
Karimov’s funeral will be taking place on Saturday, September 3 at his hometown, Samarkand. His potential successor, Prime Minister Shavkat Mirziyoyev, will be overseeing the funeral.
Turkish Prime Minister, Binali Yildirim was the first foreign leader to issue condolences over Karimov’s death. Russian President Vladimir Putin also expressed his condolences, describing the late leader as a statesman “who had contributed to the security and stability of Central Asia”.
Karimov was the first, and so far the only, president of Uzbekistan. Having ruled the country for 27 years, Karimov had long been criticized by the West and various organizations for human rights abuses, with the United Nation describing the use of torture under his leadership as “systematic”.
Karimov had not named any potential successor during his presidency, and analysts believe his replacement will be chosen privately behind the doors with family members and senior political figures.
Bordering Afghanistan and Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan is the most populous country in Central Asia with over 30 million people.
Boko Haram has released a video showing fifty of the Chibok schoolgirls who were kidnapped two years ago.
The video shows a man standing in front of the girls wearing a face mask and a turban and armed with a gun, demanding the Nigerian government for the release of Boko Haram fighters in return for the Chibok captives. “They should know that their children are still in our hands,” says the fighter in the video, which was posted on YouTube. “Don’t waste time – release our members in custody and we will release the girls.”
Bring Back Our Girls spokesman Abubakar Abdullahi confirmed that up to 10 girls from the video were indeed from Chibok.
In April 2014, 276 schoolchildren were taken from their dormitories at the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok. 57 of them escaped, while 217 are still missing.
Boko Haram has been active for seven years in north-eastern Nigeria, and the group’s insurgency has led to the deaths of over 20,000 people and displaced over 2.3 million people.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari vowed to take down Boko Haram when he won the elections in 2015. Buhari said in December 2015 that Nigeria has “technically won the war” against Boko Haram after the army took back large amounts of territory from the militant group. However, the government has yet to find the schoolgirls, suggesting the group’s lingering presence in the region.