Notorious for his hilarious political commentary, John Oliver delivers a sincere “fuck off” message to Donald Trump on his show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.
The video shows John Oliver dissecting the Republican candidate, highlighting the funny and incredibly disturbing parts of Donald Trump. Oliver begins by addressing and disproving the false claims arguing that Trump is a ‘strong’ and ‘economical’ potential leader.
Oliver also mentions the numerous controversial cases where Donald Trump has been involved in such as his usual tirade of racial slurs, and even the time when Donald Trump wished everyone a “Happy 9/11”.
Reiterating the serious level of success following Trump’s campaign’s, Oliver continues to stress how terribly unprofessional and unqualified he is as the next president of the United States.
Uzbekistan President, Islam Karimov has died at the age of 78 from a stroke. The country’s government and parliament confirmed the death on Friday, September 2.
Karimov’s funeral will be taking place on Saturday, September 3 at his hometown, Samarkand. His potential successor, Prime Minister Shavkat Mirziyoyev, will be overseeing the funeral.
Turkish Prime Minister, Binali Yildirim was the first foreign leader to issue condolences over Karimov’s death. Russian President Vladimir Putin also expressed his condolences, describing the late leader as a statesman “who had contributed to the security and stability of Central Asia”.
Karimov was the first, and so far the only, president of Uzbekistan. Having ruled the country for 27 years, Karimov had long been criticized by the West and various organizations for human rights abuses, with the United Nation describing the use of torture under his leadership as “systematic”.
Karimov had not named any potential successor during his presidency, and analysts believe his replacement will be chosen privately behind the doors with family members and senior political figures.
Bordering Afghanistan and Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan is the most populous country in Central Asia with over 30 million people.
Boko Haram has released a video showing fifty of the Chibok schoolgirls who were kidnapped two years ago.
The video shows a man standing in front of the girls wearing a face mask and a turban and armed with a gun, demanding the Nigerian government for the release of Boko Haram fighters in return for the Chibok captives. “They should know that their children are still in our hands,” says the fighter in the video, which was posted on YouTube. “Don’t waste time – release our members in custody and we will release the girls.”
Bring Back Our Girls spokesman Abubakar Abdullahi confirmed that up to 10 girls from the video were indeed from Chibok.
In April 2014, 276 schoolchildren were taken from their dormitories at the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok. 57 of them escaped, while 217 are still missing.
Boko Haram has been active for seven years in north-eastern Nigeria, and the group’s insurgency has led to the deaths of over 20,000 people and displaced over 2.3 million people.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari vowed to take down Boko Haram when he won the elections in 2015. Buhari said in December 2015 that Nigeria has “technically won the war” against Boko Haram after the army took back large amounts of territory from the militant group. However, the government has yet to find the schoolgirls, suggesting the group’s lingering presence in the region.
Liberal frontbencher Mitch Fifield admits that Australia has a “shared responsibility” for the asylum seekers and refugees at Nauru detention centre in ABC show Q&A, Monday, August 22.
Fifield was responding to Tracey Donehue, a former teacher at Nauru Regional Processing Centre who asked about the responsibility of the Australian Government for asylum seekers, as witness accounts – including hers – of detainees’ mistreatments continue to be ignored.
Fifield suggested that the Federal Government has a responsibility to investigate incidents of abuse and assault on Nauru. “There wouldn’t be incident reports filed if they weren’t for the purpose of being investigated,” said Fifield.
Last month, government files leak revealed a wide range of abuse allegations, including assaults, sexual abuse, child abuse and poor living condition in the detention camp.
Liberal frontbencher and Immigration minister Peter Dutton said while the case would be investigated by Nauruan authorities, “some people do have a motivation to make a false complaint”.
“I have been made aware of some incidents that have reported false allegations of sexual assault because in the end, people have paid money to people smugglers and they want to come to our country,” Dutton told 2GB Radio.
“Some people have even gone to the extent of self-harming and people have self-immolated in an effort to get to Australia. Certainly, some have made false allegations.”
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the government will assess the information, while former immigration minister and current treasurer Scott Morrison claim the files should not be taken as fact. “It’s important to stress that incident reports of themselves aren’t a reporting of fact, they are reporting that an allegation has been made of a particular action,” Morrison said.