International: Fox News’ Chinatown Segment Sparks Outrage

Fox News’ segment on Chinatown has attracted criticism for its “racist stereotyping” of Chinese American communities.

The “Watters’ World” is a regular segment hosted by Jesse Watters in The O’Reilly Factor. In an episode aired on October 3, Watters was shown going to Chinatown to ask the community’s political opinion following Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s statement on China.

Critics argue that Watters made fun of Chinese Americans’ culture and portrayed Chinese American citizens who are unable to speak English as politically ignorant for not being able to answer Watters’s questions. Critics also condemn Watters for asking a man if he knew karate (a Japanese martial art) and staging a mock fight in a taekwondo (Korean martial art) center that was followed by a clip of Bruce Lee (a Hong Kong-American man).

The video has received over 21,680 dislikes on Youtube, with one user commenting, “This video was a burning dumpster fire of racist stereotypes and lazy attempts at humor at the expense of Chinese Americans”.

Watters said on Twitter, “My man-on-the-street interviews are meant to be taken as tongue-in-cheek and I regret if anyone found offense.” Shanghaiist website called this tweet “non-apologizing”, while The Daily Show’s Ronny Chieng responded with a video showing his own interview in Chinatown and telling Watters, “If you’re gonna be racist, at least get your stereotypes right…”

More than 19,000 people have signed a petition calling on Fox News to issue an apology, cancel the “Watters’ World” segment and meet with representatives of Asian American community to address the on-air racism.

International: Clown Sightings Terrify the World

A significant number of clown sightings have been recorded around the world in the past couple of months.

The first sighting was reported in Greenville, South Carolina in late August. The New York Times reported witness statements that “people in clown makeup had been terrorizing both children and adults”. The phenomenon then spread to other states in the US, such as North Carolina, New Jersey and Ohio, as well as other countries including Canada and Australia. In the latter, clowns have been spotted in Brisbane, Ipswich, Wollongong, East and North Sydney, and more.

While most of the clowns were just roaming around, a number of reports state that some clowns were chasing people using tools such as knives or baseball bats or vandalizing private property, leading to police arrests. Clown Sightings Australia page on Facebook announced that some clowns were spotted throwing eggs at cars in Randwick.

Some theories about this clown ‘uprising’ have been put forward. Many believe it is part of a promotional stunt for upcoming horror film “It” (2017) which heavily features clowns. However, others think it is just another social media fad. Benjamin Radford, author of non-fiction book “Bad Clowns” told CNN, “The scary clown image is perfect for social media. It is custom-made to go viral.

“You have something that is both scary and funny. It’s this combination of horror and humor, laughter and fears… People see this scary clown narrative happening on the news, and they’re like, ‘Hey I want to be a part of this!'”

International: UN Continues Delivering Aid to Syrians After Attack

The United Nations said it is ready to continue delivering aid to Syria, only days after at least 18 trucks were hit by an airstrike, killing 20 people and triggering the suspension of the humanitarian relief operations.

“The preparation for these convoys has now resumed and we are ready to deliver aid to besieged and hard-to-reach areas as soon as possible,” the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a statement on Wednesday, September 21.

“The United Nations continues to call for safe, unconditional, unimpeded and sustained access to all Syrians in need, wherever they are.”

The attack happened after Syria broke the ceasefire agreement due to US-led coalition attack on Syrian army camp. US officials blamed Russia for the airstrike, while Moscow rejected the claims that Russia or Syria carried out the attack, in keeping with the ceasefire obligations.

According to the UN, the attacked trucks were heading to rebel-held town Urem al-Kubra, west of Aleppo.

The UN OCHA’s emergency relief officer, Stephen O’Brien called the continuous conflicts between the countries “a stain on the world’s collective conscience”.

“it appears that we have moved – once again – into reverse gear,” said O’Brien in a statement. “Active conflict and insecurity, as well as numerous delays in getting the necessary approval, have been limiting factors in reaching people in need these past many weeks.

“We need all necessary action from the parties and their supporters to ensure safe, sustained, unhindered and unconditional access. And we need an immediate end to the sieges which still collectively punish hundreds of thousands of civilians mercilessly. Anything less than the full lifting of the sieges will never be enough and we cannot pretend otherwise.”

International: Hillary Clinton Returns To White House Race

US presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has returned to campaigning after three-day rest at home from pneumonia.

“Sitting at home was pretty much the last place I wanted to be,” Clinton spoke to the crowd in North Carolina yesterday as a part of her campaign trail. Clinton’s speech focused mostly on her vision for American families and children rather than her rival, Republican candidate Donald Trump.

Concerns arose after Clinton was reportedly taken ill and stumbling to get into her vehicle at the 9/11 memorial event.

Three days after the event, Clinton’s personal physician Lisa Bardack, MD confirmed that Clinton’s condition has improved.

“She is recovering well with antibiotics and rest,” Bardack’s statement reads. “She continues to remain healthy and fit to serve as President of the United States.”

In response to this incident, Trump has released his medical report on The Dr Oz Show following a recent examination by his personal doctor, Dr Harold Bornstein. The report states that Trump is in “excellent physical health”.

“When you’re running for president of the United States, or maybe any other country, I think you have an obligation to be healthy,” Trump told the show’s host, Mehmet Oz.

“I just don’t think you can do the work if you’re not healthy; I don’t think you can represent the country properly if you’re not a healthy person.”

Bornstein claimed in December that Trump would be “the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency”.

International: The Face Of The Syrian War

On August 17th, 2016 scarring footage was released of a young little boy covered in blood rescued from the rubble after an airstrike in Northern Syrian city Aleppo in the midst of the country’s civil war.

The boy was identified as Omran Daqneesh. Silenced and paralysed with extreme shock, the video shows the little boy being carried outside and into an ambulance by a civil defense worker, covered in dust and the left side of his face bleeding.

Miraculously, most of Omran’s relatives survived as the boy was reunited with his family. Amongst others, 18,598 civilians were killed in Aleppo province including 4,557 children.

Source: CBS News
Source: CBS News

This haunting and heartbreaking video moved the entire nation, circulating around social media and shedding a horrific light on the Syrian War.

International: John Oliver Tells Donald Trump To Drop Out

Notorious for his hilarious political commentary, John Oliver delivers a sincere “fuck off” message to Donald Trump on his show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

The video shows John Oliver dissecting the Republican candidate, highlighting the funny and incredibly disturbing parts of Donald Trump. Oliver begins by addressing and disproving the false claims arguing that Trump is a ‘strong’ and ‘economical’ potential leader.

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 9.21.52 PM

Oliver also mentions the numerous controversial cases where Donald Trump has been involved in such as his usual tirade of racial slurs, and even the time when Donald Trump wished everyone a “Happy 9/11”.

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 9.47.52 PM
Reiterating the serious level of success following Trump’s campaign’s, Oliver continues to stress how terribly unprofessional and unqualified he is as the next president of the United States.

International: Uzbekistan President Died at 78

Uzbekistan President, Islam Karimov has died at the age of 78 from a stroke. The country’s government and parliament confirmed the death on Friday, September 2.

Karimov’s funeral will be taking place on Saturday, September 3 at his hometown, Samarkand. His potential successor, Prime Minister Shavkat Mirziyoyev, will be overseeing the funeral.

Turkish Prime Minister, Binali Yildirim was the first foreign leader to issue condolences over Karimov’s death.  Russian President Vladimir Putin also expressed his condolences, describing the late leader as a statesman “who had contributed to the security and stability of Central Asia”.

Islam Karimov and Vladimir Putin
Source: kremlin.ru

Karimov was the first, and so far the only, president of Uzbekistan. Having ruled the country for 27 years, Karimov had long been criticized by the West and various organizations for human rights abuses, with the United Nation describing the use of torture under his leadership as “systematic”.

Karimov had not named any potential successor during his presidency, and analysts believe his replacement will be chosen privately behind the doors with family members and senior political figures.

Bordering Afghanistan and Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan is the most populous country in Central Asia with over 30 million people.

International: Boko Haram Release Video Showing Some Of The Girls Kidnapped 2 Years Ago

Boko Haram has released a video showing fifty of the Chibok schoolgirls who were kidnapped two years ago.

Boko Haram
Source: Reuters

The video shows a man standing in front of the girls wearing a face mask and a turban and armed with a gun, demanding the Nigerian government for the release of Boko Haram fighters in return for the Chibok captives. “They should know that their children are still in our hands,” says the fighter in the video, which was posted on YouTube. “Don’t waste time – release our members in custody and we will release the girls.”

Bring Back Our Girls spokesman Abubakar Abdullahi confirmed that up to 10 girls from the video were indeed from Chibok.

In April 2014, 276 schoolchildren were taken from their dormitories at the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok. 57 of them escaped, while 217 are still missing.

Boko Haram has been active for seven years in north-eastern Nigeria, and the group’s insurgency has led to the deaths of over 20,000 people and displaced over 2.3 million people.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari vowed to take down Boko Haram when he won the elections in 2015. Buhari said in December 2015 that Nigeria has “technically won the war” against Boko Haram after the army took back large amounts of territory from the militant group. However, the government has yet to find the schoolgirls, suggesting the group’s lingering presence in the region.